In today’s modern life, owning a headset is extremely common. Depending on the purpose and needs of users, many people can choose for themselves different types of headphones on the market today, highlighting a fairly new line of headphones – Bone conduction headphones.
Bone conduction headphones are a fairly new product for many people. So what are bone conduction headphones? What are the advantages and disadvantages of this type of headset and should I buy it? Follow the article below for more information!
The first thing we need to understand is what are bone conduction headphones?
Bone-conduction technology or Bone-conduction headphones are headphones that transmit sound by vibrations through the upper jaw bone, and then directly to the inner ear and brain instead of through vibrations through the air like other headphones. ordinary headphones.
Bone conduction headphones are placed right on the cheekbones of the user, which is why sound waves only travel through the jawbone and then straight to the inner ear, not through the middle ear. This technology has its roots in hearing aids and dates back to the 1920s.
Are bone conduction headphones good?
In general, bone conduction headphones have their own advantages and disadvantages for you to consider choosing:
Is it worth it to invest in bone conduction headphones?
As mentioned above, bone conduction headphones have their own advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, depending on the purpose of use, you can consider whether to choose this product or not.
If you want a headset to enjoy music, then bone conduction headphones are not the best choice for you. Because for this purpose, sound quality is one of the most important factors, but the sound quality on bone conduction headphones today is not as good as other headphones on the market.
And if you want a headset with just enough sound quality, not too bad nor too excellent, with good noise resistance and you especially hate the feeling of being stuck and hurting your ears when wearing the headset for a long time, you can choose from this bone conduction headset. Because bone conduction headphones are worn on the user’s cheekbones, the phenomenon of occlusion and ear pain will not occur.
Surely many people will ask the question: what is the difference between normal headphones and bone conduction headphones?
These days, bone conduction headphones are a popular digital product. They are extremely popular among young people and athletes. People’s understanding of bone conduction headphones is still hazy when compared to traditional headphones. Let’s take a closer look at this.
Bone conduction principle
In general, bone conduction refers to the process by which sound is transmitted directly through small bones in a vibrating manner.
The bone conduction principle is based on the vibration of the skull to receive sound, and the vibration of the jaw can also cause the skull to vibrate. However, because the vibration of the skull requires a certain amount of energy, we normally do not use our own skull to perceive sound. Ordinary sound cannot cause the skull to vibrate in order to transmit sound. Only direct skull contact can result in bone conduction.
This is the basis for the development of bone conduction headphones. The bitten earphones are one of the exam cheating tools. The sound is transmitted through the vibration of the jaw, which is very subtle and difficult to detect.
When hearing organ damage prevents sound waves from being transmitted, bone conduction hearing aids can be used to compensate for hearing loss.
Because contact transmission characteristics are required for bone conduction, bone conduction headphones are worn differently than conventional headphones. There is no need for earplugs, and there is no need to cover the ear canal. Simply clip the earphones to your temples and use them. This type of wearing is more comfortable than standard headphones and is suitable for long-term use without the risk of ear infections.
When in use, the headset is similar to an ear hook and can be hung on the ear, and the connection in the middle has a high degree of elasticity, ensuring that the two headphones are attached in the middle. This way, even if you participate in sports, you won’t trip over the looseness.
The headphones have a flat shape and have small holes on the sides for easy air circulation when emitting sound. The outer surface of the headset is also printed with a vibration-like pattern, which means it is a headset with sound.
The connection between the headset and the earlobe is designed in one piece, and the whole body is covered with plastic, which is very elastic and can prevent the shock absorption of the bump.
The contact between the headset and the skin is not a complete plane, and there are some small holes on both sides. These holes are also audible.
When actually wearing, the earlobe can fit the ear and fix the headset.
- It can be divided into three types depending on the needs of users as follows:
- Bone conduction headphones Bluetooth with microphone
- Waterproof bone conduction headphones
- Sport Bone conduction headphones
It can be divided into three types depending on the needs of users as follows:
Bone conduction headphones Bluetooth with microphone
The headset is equipped with a mic with excellent noise cancellation to help you have quality calls. This product line will be extremely suitable for busy people who often have online meetings.
Bone conduction headphones waterproof swimming
This is a specially designed headset with a high waterproof feature to suit the needs of using underwaters such as surfing or swimming sports.
Bone conduction headphones Bluetooth
With strong Bluetooth connection features with all android, IOS, desktop, laptop, or Macbook devices. This will be a great product for the choice of music lovers with great connectivity features.
Bone conduction headphones Bluetooth with microphone
Open Ear Sports Bluetooth 5.0 Bone Conduction Headphones with Mic
If you are looking for a headset product to use when you are working or exercising, driving,
This will be a perfect choice for you. Moving earphones use advanced bone conduction technology, which sends sound to your auditory center through your skull rather than through the air. Maintain the highest level of sound fidelity possible.
- The sound quality is very vivid, but it will not completely drown out the noise in the surrounding environment, making it appropriate for outdoor activities.
- There will be no pain and tightness in the ears even if you use it all day.
- Bluetooth 5.0 chip, for a stronger and faster connection. And it’s truly wireless, so you won’t get tangled up in cables. Supports a wide range of Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as smartwatches, tablets, iOS, and Android devices…
- The sound quality is not as good as in-ear headphones.
- Poor noise cancellation is evident when listening to the phone.
- Battery life needs to be used more.
Bone Conduction Bluetooth Headset with Noise-Canceling Boom Microphone
These bone-conduction headphones deliver premium sound across the cheekbones, keeping you connected and comfortable at work or in traffic, industrial, or business settings.
- Extended battery life up to 16 hours of talk time and 8 hours of listening on a single charge.
- Equipped with a noise-canceling mic to help limit noise from outside.
- Designed to open the ear to allow outside noises to be heard in necessary situations.
- The sound quality is amazing.
- Does not cause ear heat, ear fatigue when worn for a long time.
- No Android/iOS app.
- The length of the charging cable is quite short so it’s a bit difficult when you plug the charger on the wall.
- Quite difficult to adjust the volume in the application in use.
Waterproof bone conduction headphones
IPX8 Waterproof Headphones
Naenka bone conduction headphones employ advanced bone conduction technology, which transmits sound through the cheekbones rather than the air. Bone conduction technology ensures a high level of sound realism and helps you stay connected and aware of your sound. ambiance, particularly suited to outdoor sports.
- The headset is equipped with a magnetic fast charging mode, which can be fully charged for 1.5 hours and continuously used for 8 hours.
- The device is designed to reduce sound leakage from the transmitter to the outside, ensuring your privacy needs.
- Excellent sound quality with open vibration, thick bass of the speaker.
- And especially the Naenka Swim headphones are certified IPx8 waterproof, also resistant to sweat and dirt.
- The design is limited in the volume up and down buttons. Sometimes I will press the wrong button between buttons.
- Wearing for more than an hour, there will be a feeling of strain in the ear.
- The design is quite inconvenient when there is no case after use, so you have to buy the case separately.
Open-Ear Bluetooth IP68 Waterproof Sports Headphones
Headphones equipped with Advanced Bone Conduction Technology: Upgrade the latest bone conduction technology to deliver brand new three-dimensional sound quality through cheekbone vibration. Special waterproof ability will support you in swimming and surfing activities. so this will definitely be the favorite headset of those who love water sports activities.
-Equipped with the highest level of waterproof and dustproof: Professional protection level IP68. Equipped with the highest level of waterproof and dustproof: Professional protection level IP68 supports typical outdoor sports activities such as surfing or swimming.
- Using the latest Bluetooth 5.0 chip, the connection is stronger and faster. Built-in 8G memory, you can listen to music without a mobile phone.
- Does not cause pain when worn for a long time, does not move when performing strong sports activities.
- Made of good material, can be twisted at will.
- When the head is turned sharply backward, the headset may fall off.
- The volume may be a bit low for some users.
- Sound insulation is not good.
Sport Bone conduction headphones
AfterShokz Aeropex – Open-Ear Bluetooth Bone Conduction Headphones
Patented bone conduction headphones deliver premium sound across the cheekbones in an open-ear design. Aeropex, as opposed to over-ear headphones, keeps you connected and aware of your surroundings.
- Feels light and comfortable even if you wear it for a long time.
- Battery capacity can be up to 8 hours of music & calls.
- Waterproof to IP67 – The headphones are completely waterproof and sweatproof for workouts, sports, and running. A moisture detection alert is included for safe charging. (It is not suitable for swimming)
- Magnetic charger simply snaps into place and works.
- Vibration (tickling sensation common to bone conduction) is significantly improved.
- The possibility of sound leaking out is very low.
- Excellent sound quality.
- Can’t play bass sound.
- The beep sound in the headset when switching modes is quite loud.
- Low noise resistance.
AfterShokz OpenMove Wireless Bone Conduction Open
Patented bone conduction technology transmits sound through your cheekbones, keeping you connected and aware of your surroundings. Designed with a titanium strap for slim, lightweight, and comfortable all-day, everyday wear. This will be an extremely suitable headset for those who often do outdoor sports.
- Designed with a titanium strap for thin, light, and comfortable wear without pain even for long periods of time.
- Wireless Bluetooth 5.0 connectivity enables simple multipoint pairing with iOS and Android Bluetooth-enabled devices. It is compatible with smartphones, tablets, Macs, PCs, and laptops.
- The IP55-certified headphones repel sweat, dust, and moisture, making them the perfect workout partner for any sports, fitness, or running enthusiast.
- Up to 6 hours of battery life on a single charge.
- Headphones will sometimes drop the sound suddenly.
- Headphones will cause ear pain if worn for a long time.
Bone-conduction headphones, although still quite new in technology, have received a lot of attention and attention from users. Above are some types of bone conduction headphones that are classified according to the purpose of each person’s use so that they can choose for themselves a suitable type of Bone-conduction headphones. This is an extremely suitable headset for activities with a convenient design and outstanding features such as being sweat-proof, water-proof, and not easy to fall off when you do intense activities. I hope this product review will be of some help in choosing the really suitable Bone-conduction headphones.